Windows cannot connect to the printer, error 0x00000057
The workaround of the printer issue where printers are not displaying under devices and printers and while adding them by the host name comes with error maessage “windows cannot connect to the printer error 0x00000057)”.Here are the steps to follow:
It’s actually the print driver failing to install, not the connection to the print server. An initial attempt to install the driver failed, so the driver directory is present on the workstation, but missing the files.
1) First on a machine with the same driver installed (and working properly), open Regedit, and browse to:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x64\Drivers\Version-3\
2) Locate the subkey for the printer driver we are dealing with i.e. HP Universal Printer Driver v6’ and click the key for the printer driver.
3) Look for the “InfPath” on the right. Note the path.
5) Now browse to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and locate the folder indicated in the InfPath reg value.
6) Go to the user’s computer exhibiting this behavior, and browse to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and see if the folder is present. If folder is present, but empty, you will have to modify security on the folder, first taking over the ownership, then granting yourself full control.
7) Once security is granted, copy the contents of this folder from a working machine to the effected machine and if complete folder is missing, copy the entire folder.