windows 7 service pack 1 failed to install "error code 0x8000700d "
Method 1: Download the windows installer clean up utility from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Install and run the tool. Remove the two updates that were failing, if you find it.
Method 2: Put the system in clean boot state by following the article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us
Method 3: Run the following commands in an elevated command prompt and press enter after every command.
1. net stop wuauserv
2. net stop bits
3. net stop cryptsvc
4. ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
5. ren %Windir%\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
6.Exit from the command prompt. Restart the computer.
7. Try to run the package
Method 4:Install SP1 using Windows Update method
Windows Update method is most easy and recommended method to install Service Pack 1 update on your Windows 7 computer. Make sure computer is connected to internet before you perform following steps.
1. Click Start and type Windows Update in search box.Then press the Enter key.
2. Then click ‘Check for Updates’ option on left side.
3. You should see available list of updates.Select “Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932)” and click OK.If you are unable to see service pack 1 , install the available updates and then repeat the step 2,keep doing that till you don't see service pack 1(KB976932)
4. Click Install Updates button. You may get prompt to enter administrator password for confirmation.
5. Follow onscreen instructions to complete installation. You should see message if update install was successful.