Creating Chrome extension package in SCCM 2012
Last month I was asked to create an SCCM package for chrome extension - 'RingDNA' (Intelligent dialer for salesforce) . Well , at first place , it looks stupid, creating an package for chrome ext. which is just one click away installing from chrome web store, anyways , I still gave a try.
1. First of all, I downloaded the .crx file using this Chrome Extension down loader - http://chrome-extension-downloader.com/
2. In the Registry, I created a new key under the Extensions key with the same name as the ID of your extension. If you don't know the ID, follow these steps to note the ID-
a) Install the required extension manually
b) Open settings from chrome menu bar> click on Extensions> enable developer mode from top right corner, will show the IDs for all installed extensions.
c) Alternate way, open C:\Users\<currentuser>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions , will create a folder with same name as ID of your extension
3. I created a .reg file with following keys.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Now, you'll be wondering, why I had to create 'Extensions' key in first line because it wasn't created default in registry, ideally it should create automatically at the time of chrome installation, that's why I had to create this key first, followed by a new key under the Extensions key with the same name as the ID of 'RingDNA' and in the extensions key , then created a property, "update_url"="https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx" (this points to your extension's crx in the Chrome Web Store)
4. Now create a package in sccm using above .reg file.
3. Click install, Click on Yes, it’ll install in the background.
4. After a while, re-open chrome.
5. A pop up will prompt on the upper right corner and will stay there for a while, click on Enable extension before it fade away.
6. Extension icon should display on upper right corner will clear that extension has been added successfully.